A Bangalore to Udupi trip is an invigorating experience. Udupi and its surroundings allow you to experience gorgeous beaches, rivers, backwaters, temples, and heritage spots. It is a captivating milieu of culture and relaxation for an itinerant traveller. On top of all, the drive is lovely too!
We are not sure of the number of times we have travelled to Udupi/Mangalore and every time, we come back refreshed! Here is how you can explore it on your own with this detailed road trip guide.
Here is the detailed plan for your Bangalore to Udupi trip! We Make it easy for you with day wise itinerary!
Circuit – Bangalore – Hassan – Mudigere – Charmadi ghat – Karkala – Udupi – Agumbe – Tirthahalli – Shivamogga – Chitradurga -Bangalore
Total distance – 865 KMs
Google map of the circuit – https://goo.gl/maps/p3me5QRnKzzLCNmd7
Road condition – The road conditions for this Bangalore to Udupi trip are generally good. But we strongly advise you to join the excellent road trippers’ group on Facebook known as HV Kumar Forum where you can get the latest updates on road conditions and get expert advice from seasoned road trippers. HV Kumar is considered a doyen among Roadtrippers in India. Click on this link to join the group.
Please make sure you have recharged/topped up your FASTag account before going on the road trip.
Bangalore to Udupi Distance – 403 KMs
Route map – https://maps.app.goo.gl/sXyqZ4TGrwN7xJxN6
6 AM – Depart Bangalore. Have breakfast on the way. Our favourite spot is Swathi Delicacy before Yediyur. Don’t miss their Masala Dosa and Filter coffee!
If you feel this is very early, have breakfast in Hassan.
Enjoy the drive on Charmadi ghat. Stop at Charmadi Viewpoint and enjoy the 180-degree views of the Western Ghats!
1.30 PM – Reach Karkala and stop for lunch.
2.15 PM – At Karkala, visit the famous Bahubali statue and 1000 pillared Jain temple at Moodabidri nearby
4 PM – Arrive at Udupi. After checking into the Hotel, visit Sri Krishna temple and explore the surroundings of the temple.
8 PM – Dinner at Diana restaurant or any other good restaurant in Udupi.
All these places are within a distance of 15 KMs from Udupi.
8 AM – If you can get up early, you can go for a breakfast cruise on the Swarna River. Check the link given in the Travel Tips Section. If not, have your breakfast at the hotel and head to Malpe Beach. Spend a few minutes on the beach and enjoy the sea walk. Catch a ferry to St Mary’s Island. Spend an hour there.
1 PM – Return to Udupi.
4 PM – After lunch and rest, go for beach hopping around 4 PM. We suggest you go to Delta Point at Kodi Bengre and enjoy the lovely sight of the river on one side and the sea on the other. Unfortunately, the main beach is not great. The sand on the riverside is good.
After Kodi Bengre, head to Kapu Beach and enjoy the sands. The sunset here is gorgeous. You can also go up the lighthouse by buying a ticket. After sunset, you may go to the blue-flag beach at Padubidri or return to Udupi
Total Distance – 245 KMs
Route map – https://maps.app.goo.gl/DnNcXPfpViXj5F5P9
Road condition – Good
Today you will be exploring lovely temples at Kollur and Anegudde. Explore the glorious sea views at Murudeshwara and Maravanthe. This is a comfortable day-long trip
7 AM – Depart from Udupi and reach Kollur by 8 AM. Buy a special darshan ticket and make sure menfolk carry a dhoti which needs to be worn when you visit the temple.
9 AM – Have breakfast at any restaurant on Temple Street
9.45 AM – Head to Murudeshwar via Baindur
11.15 AM – Arrive at Murudeshwara. Explore the place. Go up the elevator to see the panoramic view of Shiva temple with the backdrop of the Arabian Sea! Have lunch in Murudeshwar or if you love Non-Veg Biryani, try the famous Bhatkal Biryani in Bhatkal.at 60-year-old iconic Kwality Restaurant.
1.30 PM – Depart Murudeshwar. On the way stop at Maravanthe to marvel at the sight of the sea on one side and the river on the other! Spend 30 minutes here.
2 PM – Depart Maravanthe and reach Anegudde Ganapati temple after half an hour of drive. Spend 45 minutes here.
3.15 PM – Depart for Udupi and reach by 4 PM.
5.30 PM – In the evening you may visit lovely Padubidri beach for sunset and spend time there.
Dinner and night stay in Udupi.
Total distance – 475 KMs
Route map – https://maps.app.goo.gl/i5DCGdBBk68AQdWZ6
Road condition – Good
7 AM – Leave early and enjoy the drive through Agumbe Ghat. Stop for a few minutes to enjoy the spectacular valley view at Agumbe sunset point. Have breakfast at Ganesh Grand in Agumbe town
10 AM – After breakfast, reach Kundadri hill and enjoy the panoramic view of the Malnad from the top!
10.30 AM – Leave Kundadri and have lunch in Shivamogga and reach Bangalore via Chitradurga. You can have some snacks and coffee at Paakashala on Sira bye pass.
7 PM – Arrive in Bangalore.
- This is an easy itinerary for Bangalore to Udupi trip by car or bike. Mangalore can be done as a day trip from Udupi. Add another day to this itinerary. Places to be seen in Mangalore are – Mangaladevi temple, Kateel Durga Parameshwari temple, Tannerbhavi Beach, Pilkula Nisargadhama and Rosario church.
- There is an option of going for a breakfast or lunch cruise on the backwaters near Kodi Bengre beach. This requires around 3 hours of your time. Check out this link
- Panchajanya Cruises – https://www.facebook.com/p/Panchajanya-Cruise-100064105927618/
- Thirumala Cruises – https://thirumalacruise.com/
- The mornings and evenings are pleasant. Daytime will be hot and humid. Cover with a good hat and drink a lot of water.
- You may also visit Heroor hanging bridge on Day 2 before going to Kodi bengre beach.
- Udupi has a few iconic restaurants. Try out Goli Bajji and Masale Dosey in Mitra Samaj near the Krishna Temple. Diana is another restaurant which is famous for fried idlis and their patented Gadbad ice cream! If you love seafood there are many options.
- If you don’t want to drive from Bangalore, you can either go by night bus to Udupi or take a train and then hire a taxi to explore the place.
- The other attractions in Udupi are the heritage village at Hasthashilpa Trust, the Medical Museum at Kasturba Medical College and the Kitchen Museum curated by Master chef Vikas Khanna at Manipal Institute of Hotel Management.
- If you are a surfing enthusiast then surfing can be done at Kodi bengre beach. Check out Shakha Surfing School,
- Kayaking can be done on the backwaters of the Swarna River.
- We are suggesting you return via Agumbe because it is a lovely drive and will give an option of seeing Agumbe sunset point and also drive through the quaint town where the classic Malgudi Days TV series was shot. You may also visit the lovely Lake temple at Varanga on the way. If you are not keen, then you may return on the same route via Charmadi Ghat
- What is the distance from Bangalore to Udupi? – The Bangalore to Udupi distance is 403 KMs
- How is the road from Bangalore to Udupi? – The road condition from Bangalore to Udupi via Hassan – Mudigere – Charmadi ghat is good
- Can we travel from Bangalore to Udupi by car? – Definitely and we highly recommend it. It is a lovely drive.
- What is the best way to travel from Bangalore to Udupi? – While driving in your car is the best option, there are overnight buses from Bangalore and also trains from Bangalore to reach Udupi. The nearest airport is Mangalore which is 45 Mins away from Udupi.
Want to explore the Coastal Karnataka from – Mangalore to Karwar – by car? – Please check this detailed itinerary – Coastal Karnataka Tour in 7 Days with a detailed itinerary!
If you want to explore temples near Udupi like Dharmasthala, Kukke Subramanya etc., Please take a look at this detailed itinerary – Karnataka temple tour in 5 days!
We thank you for stopping by Travel Twosome and reading this post on the Bangalore to Udupi trip. Hope you liked it. May we request you share this with your friends on Social Media by clicking the buttons below?