A complete list to experience and enjoy monsoon in India can be read by clicking this link – Celebrating Indian Monsoon – A List!
- Leave Bangalore in the morning and reach Thirthahalli for Lunch.
- It is a comfortable six hours drive.
- Have breakfast enroute either at Tiptur (Kamat Restaurant) or Arsikere (Raghavendra Lodge) or Kadur (Vinayaka Cafe) or Birur (Preethi Canteen for best Butter Masala Dosa).
- On the way visit Amritapura – five KMs from Tarikere – for its famous Hoysala temple.
- In the evening go around Thirthahalli town, visit Bheemanakatte for a quiet evening by Tunga river.
|Lovely sand banks on Tunga river in Bheemanakatte|
- Experience the fury of rain and wind on Kundadri – A Small hillock on the way to Agumbe. You can drive up the hill and enjoy panoramic view. You may take a look at Kundadri pictures in our post on Monsoon drive here.
- Visit Agumbe Rainforest research station and learn about King Cobra and wildlife in Western Ghats
- Enjoy the cascades of Jogi gundi and Koodlu Theertha waterfalls
- Walk on the streets where Swami and his friends walked in Malgudi Days!
- Return back to Tirthahalli in evening.
- You may not be able to see beautiful sunset at Agumbe during monsoons which is possible in winters and summer
|Monsoon sky as seen from Kundadri hill|
- A beautiful drive.
- Have early breakfast in the place of your stay or better have a good South Indian breakfast at Sringeri. Visit historical temple of Goddess Sharada.
- Walk over the bridge on Tunga river and visit Shankaracharya’s Ashram – don’t miss seeing Award winning architecture of Sanskrit Pathashala.
- Drive to Horanadu. Visit the famous temple of Goddess Annapoorneshwari at the foothills of mountains
- Have lunch in temple.
- After lunch drive back to Tirthahalli and on the way after Koppa, visit the beautifully restored heritage house of great Kannada poet KUVEMPU as a memorial for him at Kuppali – good signage is there. Trek to “Kavi Shyla” a small hill – ten minutes trek – adjoining to the memorial to see “Stonehenge” kind of structure done by well known artist K T Shivaprasad.
- Enjoy the beautiful view of Sahyadris from the top.
- Return back to Tirthahalli
|Heritage home of Poet Laureate Kuvempu in Kuppalli|
- After early breakfast drive to Kollur.
- Enjoy the beautiful drive through mountains/valleys
- Visit temple dedicated to Goddess Mookambika.
- Return to Tirthahalli for late lunch
|Valley views on the way to Kollur|
- Kavaledurga is a hillock fort close to Tirthahalli with amazing views of Mani dam backwaters and valleys.
- After breakfast head towards Kavaledurga.
- Climb the the hill fort – it has steps – enjoy the views.
- Drive to Nagara fort
- Drive to Mani dam on the way back and view beautiful backwaters formed by the dam.
- Return to Tirthahalli for late lunch.
- After lunch and rest visit Chippalagudde, a picnic spot on Tunga river
|Nagar fort looks beautiful in Monsoon|
- Trekking of Kodachadri in Monsoons is only for experienced trekkers.
- Also visit beautiful Hittalamane falls at the foot hills.
- In non monsoon season, one can enjoy amazing sunset from this peak.
|Sunrise @ Kodachadri|
- This can be done as a comfortable day trip. This trip is specially for Kids who will enjoy bathing elephants and seeing lions and tigers at close quarters.
- Leave early with packed breakfast.
- Visit Sakrebailu elephant camp. Watch how the mahouts bathe and train elephants. Allow kids to play with some baby elephants including bathing them
- After breakfast, drive to Tyavarekoppa lion safari which is ten KMs from Shimoga. On the way stopover at Gajanur dam to enjoy beautiful vistas of backwaters of Tunga river
- Enjoy lion safari and have lunch in Shimoga. Visit Shivappa Nayaka’s palace in city.
- Drive back to Tirthahalli.
- Stop over at Mandagadde bird sanctuary on the way for some bird watching.
|A baby elephant enjoying bath in the camp!|
- After breakfast drive to Jog falls, the tallest waterfalls in Asia
- On the way back visit famous temple at Ikkeri on the outskirts of Sagara.
- Have lunch in Sagara.
- Return to Tirthahalli
|Jog falls in full glory|
- If one wants to visit Udupi, then they can deviate from Agumbe or Kollur.
- If one wants to Murdeshwar and beyond, one can do so after Jog falls. Also there is a nice trek of Kanur fort from Jog falls for which one has to stay near Jog falls.
- Tirthahalli and surroundings experience heavy rainfall during monsoon. Take proper rain gear.
- Make sure your car is in good condition. Check condition of tyres.
- Always check locally for latest road condition. Your host will be of help.
- You can hire a car at Tirthahalli for doing trips.
- Plan your itinerary based on number of days you can spare.
- While trekking or walking in monsoon, you may suffer leech bite. Don’t worry. It is a minor hiccup.
Mahout – Elephant trainer
We request you to join the lovely drives we have done in Western Ghats during monsoon by clicking on the links below.
If you are looking for a Driving Holiday from Bangalore to explore Monsoon in Malnad (Western ghats) , please click here