|Green landscape of Malnad…..extending into horizon|
The roads continued to remain good and we cruise our way to the temple of Bangaramakki on Honnavar road. The drive through Sharavathi valley is always charming. Good rains in the previous week meant that we could see many small water falls on the way. The best part of this drive this time was the stunning view of a waterfalls known as “Bangara Kusuma” which gets its glory only in monsoon. Though we could see a trekking trail to the falls, we did not dare to do it.
|First glimpse of “Bangara Kusuma” water fall.|
|Beautiful view of the falls|
|Sharavathi Valley view|
|Cascades along the road|
|Views of the falls from the view point of guest house|
|A Panoramic shot of the falls|
|Raja, Rani, Roarer and rocket – The four cascades of Jog falls|
|A nice rainbow formed at the bottom of the falls. We were lucky to capture it.|
|A wonderful water fall seen on the left side of main falls|
It is around 5 in the evening when we start driving back to our home stay in Tirthahalli. We reach Talaguppa, a small town between Sagar and Jog falls. This place happens to be the last railway station in Malnad and closest to jog falls.
When we were browsing the Google map of the area, we happened to see a road hugging the back waters of Linganamakki dam. It looked very interesting and obviously would be very scenic. A quick check with a friend who is from Talaguppa confirmed that there indeed was a road and was in good condition. He also confirmed that it was very scenic and advised us to climb small hillocks on the way to get a panoramic view of the backwaters.
We take a deviation at the Talaguppa police station and drive on. First few kilometres does not give any indication of what was in store. We knew that this will be a winding road over small hills. It was to be. It never seem to end. We don’t complain. We are treated to the panoramic views of the backwaters, lush green fields, small little lakes formed by backwaters. The country side rose and fell in majestic undulations as we drive on for 34 KMs.
|First sight of the backwaters – A sea of freshwater!|
|Some more sights of backwaters|
|Greenery at its best!|
|Lovely lakes formed by backwaters|
|Isn’t this beautiful?|
- By Train – The last stop of Talaguppa which is 15 KMs away from Jog falls is connected to Bangalore. Overnight inter city express is the most convenient train to reach Bangalore. From Talaguppa one can hire autorickshaw or shared jeeps to visit Jog falls.
- By Bus – There are direct buses to Joga falls from Bangalore. Jog fall is also well connected by all buses which ply on Bangalore – Honnavar highway.
- By Road – The road condition from Bangalore is excellent. It is at a distance of 375 KMs from Bangalore. So is the other road from Honnavar.
- Karnataka State Tourism Development Corporation have built hotel in Jog falls. One can do booking by logging into their website.
- Thewell known eco lodge chain of Karnataka Forest department – Jungle Lodges and Resorts – have opened “Sharavathi Adventure Camp” very close to the waterfalls. You can check details here
- Apart from this, one can stay in following home stays which are close by and are good.
- One can also stay in either Shimoga or Thirthahalli or Sagara and visit Jog falls as a day trip.
a) The best time to visit the falls are the monsoon months of July – August. The best view of falls is when the dams are opened. But that will be only for day and one has to be lucky.
b) Jog falls can be visited while driving to coastal Karnataka from Bangalore.
c) Enough parking space has been developed near the view point.
d) Do not venture close to the falls or climb the rocky cliffs. Many deaths have occurred due to slip and fall.
e) Staying in home stay will also give an opportunity to explore the nearby places like Gerusoppa which has a medieval jain temple, Bangaramakki known fro Hanuman temple, Sigandur known for Chowdeshwari temple which can be reached after a lovely boat ride on backwaters, treks in Sharavathi valley.
f) The place has toilet facilities. There is also a restaurant run by KSTDC.
g) Jog falls and surrounding area has some of the lovely roads with splendid landscapes for those who love driving around.