Last Updated on 14 August 2023 by Poorna & Brinda
Looking for a Weekend getaway from Bangalore with a detailed itinerary? This time we will help you explore Lepakshi-Belum caves-Gandikota in the neighbouring state of Andhra Pradesh.
This is the eighth post in the Weekend getaways from Bangalore series. These are trips to explore places near Bangalore within 300 KMs. These can also be considered as a 2-day trip near Bangalore. These trips are excellent weekend getaways for families.
These weekend getaways from Bangalore cover Saturday and Sunday. They can be comfortably done by car/bike. A detailed itinerary given here will help you plan the trip.
This trip helps you to explore Lepakshi-Belum Caves-Gandikota. You will see outstanding temples of the Vijayanagar era in Lepakshi, Penukonda and Tadipatri. Explore the mesmerising caves at Belum. It will also take you to the ” Grand Canyon of India” at Gandikota.
So why wait? Plan this trip on one of the weekends.
Bangalore – Lepakshi – Penukonda – Anantpur – Tadipatri – Belum caves – Jammalamadugu – Gandikota – Kadiri – Bangalore
677 KMs (End to end). Generally good roads. The Bangalore – Hyderabad highway is excellent.
- The timings given here are indicative of travelling in a car or bike. This is an easy drive which covers three lovely places of Lepakshi-Belum caves-Gandikota.
- The best time to visit these places is in winter. The summer months of April till June will be very hot.
- It is good to explore the caves early in the morning before the temperatures increase.
- Carry water with you. There are not many options to eat either in Belum caves or Gandikota. It would be better to eat in Tadipatri before going to Belum caves or Jammalamadugu before going to Gandikota.
- Wear a good hat as the temperatures will be harsh even in winter.
- Penukonda, Belum caves and Gandikota require walking and climbing. It is good to wear good walking shoes.
- There are good options for accommodation in Anantapur. One can also drive to Belum caves straight after Penukonda. However, the only option for staying in Belum Caves is the state-run Haritha Hotel which is average.
- If one wants to do some adventurous stuff like canoeing or trekking in Gandikota, one can stay in tented accommodation provided by a few adventure sports agencies and extend the trip by another day.
- We also recommend you extend the stay by another day if you don’t want to drive back from Gandikota all the way to Bangalore. This will give you some more time to explore Gandikota and drive to Kadiri and stay there for the night. The next day morning you can visit the famous Narasimhaswamy temple at Kadiri and then drive back to Bangalore.
We strongly recommend you download Routo App and request a ready map for this road trip from Bangalore to Lepakshi-Belum Caves-Gandikota for the whole itinerary for only Rs 150 – less than the cost of a cup of Coffee in a Coffee Day!! This is an excellent App and we use it every time we go on road trips for a peaceful drive. Available only on Android phones. This comes with real-time support during the trip like breakdown support, hotel booking etc from legends among road trippers, HV Kumar. Please click the link below.
- We also recommend you become a member of the road trippers forum – HV Kumar Forum – to get to know the latest updates on road conditions etc.
This circuit of Lepakshi – Belum Caves and Gandikota is a lovely weekend getaway. It is a comfortable drive and the sights at each place are spectacular.
We thank you for stopping by Travel Twosome and reading this post on Lepakshi-Belum caves-Gandikota. May we request you share this with your friends by clicking the share buttons below?