It is summer time. You want to head to hills to cool off but don’t know how to go about it! We make it easier for you with this detailed road trip guide from Bangalore to Coorg, Ooty, Munnar & Kodaikanal!
This is the eleventh in the series of Road trips from Bangalore – 11 Exciting Options with Itineraries! with all details like route map, places to see and stay, daily itineraries to help you explore heritage, mountains of western ghats, waterfalls, wild life, beaches etc…….
Yes, as road trippers we love to drive to destinations. We love the freedom road trips provide us to stop, look and explore.
We are sharing details about 11 exciting road trips from Bangalore exploring heritage, western ghats, wild life, beaches etc…….. These road trips , cover not more than 300 KMs in a day. The plan is to cover for a week extendable for another one or two days. It also provide you an option to just plan for as many number of days you wish to.
This is a classic road trippers dream holiday. Driving through lovely hills, Bangalore to Coorg, Ooty, Munnar & Kodaikanal road trip is a refreshing drive. Distances are not much. Views are amazing. Food is great. Many options to stay. Here we go…..
Bangalore – Coorg (Madikeri) – Ooty – Munnar – Kodaikanal – Bangalore
Total distance – 1388 KMs
Google map of the circuit – https://goo.gl/maps/kFjBSbyvYDS2
Day 1 – Bangalore – Madikeri
Distance – 257 KMs
Google map – https://goo.gl/maps/dghbSupmX5n
Leave around 7 AM. Have breakfast on the way on Bangalore – Mysore road. You are spoilt for choices here. Depending on when you leave you can have breakfast of Kotte Kadubu in Kamat Loka Ruchi near Ramanagaram, Tatte Idlis in Bidadi, Iyengar cuisine of Pongal – Karnataka style – Vada at Kadambam after Channapatna, Khara Bath/Masala Dosa at Shivalli Tiffin room after Channapatna or Assorted breakfast menu in reliable Adigas in Maddur, Maddur Vade and Masala Dosa in Maddur Tiffany’s in Maddur. If you are coffee and doughnut kind of person you can stop at Cafe Coffee day or McDonald’s. For those who want some non veg stuff, there is Empire and many hotels as well.
At Srirangapatna, look for deviation to Coorg highway via Belagola. Follow the sign boards of Evolve Back or Tamara resorts if confused!
Stop at Bylakuppe to visit Tibetan Golden temple and monastery. The drive to Bylakuppe from the highway is beautiful flanked by miles and miles of maize fields. Savour the ambience of the temple. If possible, meet a monk and get to know more about the temple. Look for locally manufactured Tibetan handicrafts especially beautifully woven carpets with Tibetan motifs.
The Golden temple
Return to highway and drive on for few kilometres and after Kushalnagar stop at Kaveri Nisargadhama – a small island formed by Cauvery river. Walk over the suspension bridge. Enjoy a swim in the river – note for safety instructions and follow them.
Hanging bridge over Cauvery!
Stop over at Amanvana Spa resort next to Nisargadhama for a beer and Biryani for lunch. A beautiful resort, the restaurant is on the banks of Cauvery. If your wallet does not permit, then go for excellent South Indian Thali at Athitya or similar restaurants in Kushalnagar town.
Drive on to Madikeri or any home stay/resort you have chosen in Coorg.
Relax for the day or if energy levels are high visit Raja Seat in Madikeri for sunset and serene Omkareshwara temple in the evening.
Lovely view of valley from Raja seat!
Day 2 – Explore Madikeri & Surroundings
Distance – 160 KMs
Google map – https://goo.gl/maps/gNPR5ibV9gr
Visit Dubare elephant camp before breakfast and follow it up with a rafting on the river if interested.
After breakfast head to Talacauvery – 45 KMs from Madikeri – to see the place where river Cauvery takes its birth. The temple is small and nothing great. But the surroundings are beautiful. Nestled at the foot hills of Brahmagiri wild life sanctuary, it is a quiet and serene place. Return back for lunch.
Temple for Godess Cauvery @ Tala Cauvery
View of Brahmagiri ranges from the view point in Tala Cauvery
After lunch and rest, drive to Abbey falls. Walk down the steps to get a good look of water gushing down.
In the evening, walk around Madikeri bazar and also visit the Omakareshwar temple if you haven’t done on previous day.
Return to Homestay/Resort for night stay.
Day 3 – Madikeri – Ooty
Distance – 265 KMs
Google map – https://goo.gl/maps/kzztSfaawpN2
After Breakfast drive to Iruppu falls. This is a beautiful falls…..higher than Abbey. Spend some time here and drive to Ooty. This is a nice drive through tea gardens. Take a small deviation to explore “Phantom rock” a huge rock formation which looks like Phantom’s head!
Cascades of Iruppu falls!
You can stop for lunch at Gudalur and then drive to Ooty. On the way, stop over at shola grasslands at Valley View point where many duets for movies have been shot!
Reach your place of stay. If you are staying in city, walk around Charing street and savour lovely Ooty chocolates at Kings.
Day 4 – Ooty
If you can get up early, we recommend you to go for a nice drive to Avalanche and Emerald lake. It is a pleasant drive through the verdant valley. You can have hot tea in many tea stalls on the way. Return for breakfast.
Emerald lake as seen from the hill
After breakfast, you can explore Ooty. For more on Ooty please check out this post on this blog.
Day 5 – Ooty – Munnar
Distance – 244 KMs
Google map – https://goo.gl/maps/rkX7YNocCgy
Ooty to Munnar is a lovely drive. Depart after breakfast. On the way, you can visit Coonoor and few sights like Lamb’s rock and Catherine falls.
Fantastic view from Lamb’s rock
Catherine falls closeup
The road from Coimbatore to Munnar via Udumalpet is very picturesque. You can see more about the scenic spots on this stretch in this post in this blog.
Thoovanam waterfalls as seen from highway!
Day 6 – Munnar
Explore Munnar today. Munnar needs a minimum of three days to do justice. However, you can see the following not to be missed places in one day
- Top Station – mesmerizing views of Kolakkumalai ranges
2 Boating in lakes – The two popular lakes are Mettupatty and Kundala respectively.
3 Eravikulam National Park
You can check these posts on this blog for more on Munnar
Day 7 – Munnar – Kodaikanal
Distance – 162 KMs
Google map – https://goo.gl/maps/pR6X3VFD5Pq
This is another lovely drive in the hills via Bodinayakkanur. Depart in the morning around 7 AM. have breakfast in Theni. You should be in Kodai for lunch.
Enjoy the scenic drive from Munnar to Bodinayakannur. (See Munnar in Monsoon 1 link above). On the way stop for few minutes to enjoy the beauty of Chinnakanal Waterfalls.
The climb to Kodaikanal is a lovely drive. Stop and enjoy the lovely vistas on the way.
View of Manjalar dam from the view-point on the highway
Lovely vistas on the way!!
After lunch and rest, go for boating in the lake and walk around it. Have dinner in any of the restaurants in city.
Night stay in Kodaikanal.
Day 8 – Kodaikanal
Explore Kodai today. The places not be missed in Kodai are.
- Coaker’s walk. Good for early morning walk when there is not much of crowd and the valley will be filled with mist!
- Silver cascade waterfalls
- Dolphins nose & Echo point
- Bryant Park
- Bear Shola waterfalls
Day 10 – Kodaikanal – Bangalore
Distance – 465 KMs
Google map – https://goo.gl/maps/kdKn5EPpeCH2
Depart Kodai after breakfast. You should be in Bangalore by evening. On the way you can have lunch in many restaurants on the highway. If you are a non vegetarian, you can pack famous Dindigal biryani in Thalappakatti in Dindigal and eat it under a roadside tree!
- The roads in the hills are curvy. Drive safe. Stop and enjoy the beauty of nature. Road trips are more of relaxed driving and experiencing the sights than the final destination!
- If you want detailed exploration of all the four places in this Bangalore to Coorg, Ooty, Munnar & Kodaikanal road trip, then add an additional day for each place in the itinerary.
- All places have excellent places of stay suiting all budgets. Our suggestion is to stay in a home stay in Coorg, Plantation homes in Ooty, Munnar and Kodai.
- The road conditions are generally good. The road conditions may change due to various factors. It will be good to join a road trip enthusiasts’ FB group HVK Forum managed by H V Kumar, the doyen of road trip in India. You can get the latest updates on the road conditions in this very active group. It is good to become a member of this Road Trippers group on FB and check out the latest road condition before embarking journey.
- Avoid long weekends and festival holidays. All these places will be extremely crowded during this time. For example Good Friday weekend.
- In Ooty and Kodai, it will be good to go for boating early in the morning when it is quiet, less crowd and nice. Boat house will open at 6 AM.
- The weather in all the places will be pleasant during summer. However it is good to carry light wollen with you. The temperatures may drop if there is summer rain.
- All the places are gourmet paradise. Try out local cuisine.
- Except for the last day, the distances are very comfortable and less than 300 KMs.
- Carry a good binoculars and a camera. You will get a lot of opportunities to enjoy the landscape and click pictures.
- Wear a good hat while outdoors and drink water.
- If you are planning a trip to Munnar from Bangalore, this will be helpful
- Bangalore Munnar Road Trip Made easy – http://traveltwosome.com/bangalore-to-munnar-road-trip-guide/
Lastly, we strongly recommend you to download Routo App and request for a ready map for this road trip from Bangalore to Coorg, Ooty, Munnar & Kodaikanal for the whole itinerary for only Rs 150 – less than the cost of a cup of Coffee in a Coffee Day!! This is an excellent App and we use it everytime we go for road trips for a peaceful drive. Available only in Android phones. This comes with real-time support during the trip like breakdown support, hotel booking etc from legends among road trippers, HV Kumar. Please click the link below.
We hope you enjoyed reading this road trip guide from Bangalore to Coorg, Ooty, Munnar & Kodaikanal. Please let us know your feedback after your road trip or if you need any further information/help. Please do share this among your friends and inspire them to travel!