Republic Day parade in New Delhi on 26 January every year is a grand spectacle! This is the day India became a republic in 1950. The day we adapted Indian Constitution – the longest in the world!.
It declares India as
It is always a memorable experience to watch the republic day parade. For Poorna, it is nostalgic and he can relate to the different regiments which participate in the parade. The valour, the history and the colours of these regiments are the stuff stories made of.
The misty morning of Delhi enlivened by the lovely martial music and the steps of our soldiers, cadets and young kids in their school uniforms…..After marching contingents, you always have those lovely tableau of the different states. The patriotic fervour is to be seen to be believed. A proud moment for every Indian.
We were there two years back. But we did not take camera or mobile phone as they are prohibited. Howeve, here are some nice pictures from Press Information bureau from the parade we saw two years back.
Here are essential tips to watch the Republic Day in Delhi
- If you have any contact in government, get a pass. That is the easy thing to do. Like the saying goes, “Beg, Borrow or Steal” and get a pass. It is worth it! We had got the pass through a friend!
- If you are not able to manage a pass, buy tickets. If you want reserved seats then the price is Rs 500 and unreserved tickets are sold for Rs 100 and Rs 20. Tickets will be sold at various places in New Delhi as below till 23 Jan 2019.
- North Block circle
- Sena Bhawan (Gate 2).
- Pragati Maidan (Gate 1 at Bhairon Road).
- Jantar Mantar (Main Gate).
- Shastri Bhawan (near Gate 3).
- Jamnagar House (opposite India Gate).
- Red Fort (inside August 15 Park and opposite Jain Temple).
- Parliament House Reception Office
- The ticket counters are open daily from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. All ticket counters will be closed in the morning on January 23, due to full dress rehearsal of the Republic Day Parade. However, from 23rd to 25th January 2019, the ticket counters at Shastri Bhavan, Jantar Mantar, Jamnagar House and Sena Bhavan will be open till 7 p.m.
- Buying tickets for the Republic Day Parade is a very frustrating experience. Only a certain number of tickets are allocated for sale at each ticket counter per day. No online booking for republic day parade tickets is available as of now.
- Demand for Rs 500 reserved seating tickets is high and the supply is small. So be there in the queue early when counter opens. Only one ticket per head with production of ID card lie Driving Licence, PAN or Aaadhar.The 100 rupee tickets are easier to obtain. Only two tickets can be purchased per ID card. The 20 rupee tickets are usually readily available. Reserved tickets have seat near main stage where as others are in different enclosures.
- Irrespective of the type of tickets you have, reach well in advance to get the best seat. The republic day parade timing is 9.30 AM to 11.30 AM. If you want to get best place and a seat, you should be there by 6 AM when gates open. Please keep in mind that it will be cold in the morning and cover yourself well. Also carry your food/water or eat something before going.
- Always carry an ID like Driving Licence, Aadhaar, PAN card etc. The security staff at entrance may also ask for it.
- Parking is a major challenge. You will be asked to park very far away in dedicated areas. Either you have to walk up to your enclosure or take shuttles. It is a real pain and we also endured it. It is better to come by taxi or metro.
- Mobile phones, cameras, and all other electronic devices are not allowed. There will be strict security check. Sometimes people take risk and sneak it in. It is your choice.
- All entrances are closed before the National Anthem starts. The complete parade will be for two hours. Please make sure you have water and some eats with
- Finally, If you don’t get a ticket, don’t forget to watch on your TV at home! It is spectacular !
This year – 2019 – is special as we have few women contingent from Assam Rifles – Poorna served in it – leading the parade. Here are few pictures from the rehearsal we have found from Rediff.com
Once again best wishes to everyone on India’s republic day!
Thank you for stopping by “Travel Twosome”. We hope you liked this post on “republic Day Parade in India” and enjoyed reading it. Please share it among your friends by clicking the buttons below.