Last Updated on 10 September 2023 by Poorna & Brinda
Chitra Santhe is the Kumbh Mela of art! Chitra Santhe 2024 is likely to be held on Sunday, 21 Jan 2024.
Next time when you are in Bangalore in the month of January, plan to be there at Chitra Santhe on 21 Jan 2024
Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath organises “Chitra Santhe” or the “Art market” if one can literally translate it. “Chitra” in Kannada means “drawing/Painting” and “Santhe” means “village market”.
Please don’t forget to read important tips to make your Chitra Santhe experience memorable!!
The concept of Chitra Santhe was born years ago when the then chairman of Chitrakala Parishath Dr D K Chowta wanted to bring artists face to face with buyers without middle layer called art galleries. He also wanted to remove the notion that art is only for elite and wanted to make sure it reaches common man as well.
After initial skepticism, the annual event has become a “must visit” in Bangalore in January. This not only gives platform to budding artists as well as established ones but also allows both connoisseurs as well as common man to pick up some nice paintings.
One may not see celebrity painters in the event, but either side of the road – 1 KM stretch – in front of Chitrakala Parishath virtually becomes an art market for one day.
It is a riot of colours. You can buy oils, watercolors, charcoals………also look out for nice sculptures and terracotta stuff as well. You can get your caricature done by the artists.
Artists come from all over the country to display their work. It is a feast for the eyes and a good day to spend.
Chitra Santhe 2019 was focused on Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary and the students of Chitrakala Parishath are curating an exhibition of rare photos and paintings on Mahatma.
Here are some snapshots!
Last time when we were there, we bought a painting from a young Iranian artist who was studying in Chitra Kala Parishath.
When we went to Chitra Santhe 2018, we bought many paintings burning a hole in the pocket!!
We also happened to see this nice video on YouTube by Rajaram1canvass.
Please read these useful tips from our experience to make your experience memorable!
- Over the years this has grown big. Lot of crowds come. Go early. Our suggestion is to go there around 10 AM when most of the stalls would have come up. The inauguration by Chief Minister will be around 10.30 AM. But that will not affect people visiting the santhe.
- Parking will be an issue. Make sure that you park away and walk to the street where the santhe is held. That way it is easier to get out. Alternately go by a cab. The nearest Metro station is Sampige Road station on Green Line which is a KM away. You may walk down and autoricksahw will charge minimum.
- Wear a good shoe and a hat. Though the road is lined with trees, a good hat helps. Carry a water bottle.
- Please carry enough cash as most of the transactions still happen in cash! This time around you may have options for digital payments.
- Please take your children. It will be a great exposure to the world of colours to them!
- You will find many shacks selling eatables. After finishing the visit, we recommend that you visit Janardhana Hotel which is one of the few places where you get authentic ” Masala Dosa” in Bangalore (Available between 11 AM and 1 AM and 4 PM to 8PM). Old world style! Richie Rich is another lovely place for ice creams, shakes and sandwiches.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Where is Chitra Santhe 2024? – Chitra Santhe is held on Kumara Krupa road – one-kilometer stretch – from Shivananda Circle to Windsor Manor Circle
- How to apply for Chitra Santhe? – Please keep a watch in the Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath website. They call for applications/registrations three months prior to the show. All details will be available on their website.
- How many days is Chitra Santhe? – It is held only on one day.
BTW, please don’t miss another lovely event this month in Bangalore – The Republic Day Flower show at Lalbagh. Please see all the details with useful tips here! – Republic Day Lalbagh Flower show 2024 – A Complete guide!
Thank you for visiting this post on Chitra Santhe. Hope you liked it. Can we do us a favour by sharing it among your friends by clicking the buttons below?