Last updated on January 9th, 2024 at 04:39 pm
Chitra Santhe is the Kumbh Mela of art! The next edition Chitra Santhe 2025 likely to be held on Sunday, 5 Jan 2025.
Next time when you are in Bangalore in the month of January, plan to be there at Chitra Santhe on 5 Jan 2025
Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath organises “Chitra Santhe” or the “Art market” if one can literally translate it. “Chitra” in Kannada means “drawing/Painting” and “Santhe” means “village market”.
Please don’t forget to read important tips to make your Chitra Santhe experience memorable!!
The concept of Chitra Santhe was born years ago when the then chairman of Chitrakala Parishath Dr D K Chowta wanted to bring artists face to face with buyers without middle layer called art galleries. He also wanted to remove the notion that art is only for elite and wanted to make sure it reaches common man as well.
After initial skepticism, the annual event has become a “must visit” in Bangalore in January. This not only gives platform to budding artists as well as established ones but also allows both connoisseurs as well as common man to pick up some nice paintings.
One may not see celebrity painters in the event, but either side of the road – 1 KM stretch – in front of Chitrakala Parishath virtually becomes an art market for one day.
It is a riot of colours. You can buy oils, watercolors, charcoals………also look out for nice sculptures and terracotta stuff as well. You can get your caricature done by the artists.
Artists come from all over the country to display their work. It is a feast for the eyes and a good day to spend.
Chitra Santhe 2019 was focused on Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary and the students of Chitrakala Parishath are curating an exhibition of rare photos and paintings on Mahatma.
Here are some snapshots!
Some snapshots from the 2024 edition which was held on 07 Jan 24.
Here are the paintings we bought on 07 Jan 24 ! Lovely paintings at reasonable prices! You get them only in Chitra Santhe!
Pictures from earlier editions.
Last time we were there, we bought a painting from a young Iranian artist who was studying in Chitra Kala Parishath.
When we went to Chitra Santhe 2018, we bought many paintings burning a hole in the pocket!!
Please read these useful tips from our experience to make your experience memorable!
- Over the years this has grown big. A lot of crowds come. Go early. Our suggestion is to go there around 10 AM when most of the stalls would have come up. The inauguration by the Chief Minister will be around 10.30 AM. But that will not affect people visiting the santhe.
- Parking will be an issue. Make sure that you park away and walk to the street where the santhe is held. That way it is easier to get out. Alternately go by a cab. The nearest Metro station is Sampige Road station on Green Line which is a KM away. You may walk down or the autorickshaw will charge a minimum.
- Wear good shoes and a hat. Though the road is lined with trees, a good hat helps. Carry a water bottle.
- Please carry enough cash as some of the artists may not have UPI Scanner! However, majority do accept UPI payments
- Please take your children. It will be a great exposure to the world of colours for them!
- You will find many shacks selling eatables. After finishing the visit, we recommend that you visit Janardhana Hotel which is one of the few places where you get authentic ” Masala Dosa” in Bangalore (Available between 11 AM and 1 AM and 4 PM to 8 PM). Old world style! Richie Rich is another lovely place for ice creams, shakes and sandwiches.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Where is Chitra Santhe 2024? – Chitra Santhe is held on Kumara Krupa road – a one-kilometre stretch – from Shivananda Circle to Windsor Manor Circle
- How to apply for a stall or sell in Chitra Santhe? – Please keep a watch on the Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath website. They call for applications/registrations three months prior to the show. All details will be available on their website.
- How many days is Chitra Santhe? – It is held only on one day.
BTW, please don’t miss another lovely event this month in Bangalore – The Republic Day Flower Show at Lalbagh. Please see all the details with useful tips here! – Republic Day Lalbagh Flower show 2024 – A Complete guide!
Thank you for visiting this post on Chitra Santhe. Hope you liked it. Can you please do us a favour by sharing it with your friends by clicking the buttons below?